Tuesday, June 23, 2009

We Are Off

With Sally behind the wheel and me exercising my new found blogging
skills, we head south to Portland for the night with Sally's sister
Wendy. We fly out tomorrow morning for Newark, NJ, then catch an
overnight flight to Heathrow arriving about nine in the morning, then
catch a flight about 2:30PM to Paris. Of course those are all by local
times, so I have no idea what actual flight times are and how long we
will actually be awake, but it is assured we will be ugly Americans
with red eyes and grumpy dispositions when we arrive in Paris.
I have a great tale to tell about cancelled airline tickets and hours
on the phone this morning trying to rescue our trip, but I will wait
until the events play out tomorrow to relay the story. (I am trying to
build intrigue to keep you awake.).
Sally is going through her late father's photos and journal
chronicling his landing at Normandy at D-day +6 and their nearly year
long advancement to Berlin, picking put places we will visit. We are
photographing his photos with my iPhone so we can compare then and now.
Sally's dad is the soldier standing in the one picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment