Saturday, September 30, 2023

Tuesday, September 19, 2023 The Start of the West Coast Trail

I finished watching the required video, an introduction to the WCT, as required. I was seated comfortably in my desk chair in the loft watching it on my TV monitor attached to my computer. It was now 12:08pm and the Caldwells were coming at 12:20pm to pick me up. I had piled my pack and suitcase out at the end of the sidewalk in anticipation of their arrival, and to be sure I had everything I needed out of the house and grouped together, ready to go. 

While watching the video I had thought of a couple last minute things and had written them down on my notepad in my phone. I headed out the front door to retrieve them and to my surprise Bill and Pat were already parked, ready for me to load up and go. They weren’t in a hurry.  I grabbed the few items, stuffed them in my pack and suitcase, checked the house to be sure I had everything ready to go and got in the car. 

Sally had left at 8:45am this morning, headed to Jeff’s house to help with sick grandkids. Jackie was away at training all week and Jeff could use the help. This left me alone to close up the house for leaving. Sally wouldn’t be home until Saturday. 

We drove to the LaQuinta Inn by SeaTac where Bill and Pat exited. They were flying the next day to South Carolina to meet their new grand daughter, Natalie, born just a few days ago. I continued on to Anacortes to spend the night at Malcolm’s home. I got there about 4:30pm. We talked for an hour or so, walked to town and had dinner at the Adrift restaurant and walked back to his house. I sorted through my gear once more, decided not to take my chair nor my Crocs and set them aside to put in the Prius. I will take the suitcase in the car for the drive to Nanaimo and Panchea Bay where we exit the trail. In it I’ll have a change of clothes for when we finish. 

The weather forecast is not good for our hike. Friday, our first day of walking looks sunny and good, but the next 6 days show rain in the forecast everyday. 

Tomorrow we leave Anacortes about 1:30pm and drive to Tsawwassen where we catch the ferry to Nanaimo. Until tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment