Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wednesday, July 29-On Time

Whoa. I was tired. Tried to sleep in this morning, but that is Sally's
talent, not mine. London time I got to bed at 5am and woke up at 11.
Local that was midnight and 6am. Laid around the hotel this morning
enjoying the cellular connection I had been without for 5 weeks.
Cruised the web, checked stock prospects, texted. Used the workout
room to lift weights and use the stair master, then showered,
breakfast and back to the room at 10AM. I picked up a good book in
London so we read for a while, took a nap and then caught the airport
shuttle to Newark airport about noon. Our flight is not until 5:30pm,
so it is a lazy day at the airport reading. It actually feels good
after the Europe trip. We were on the move everyday and really had no
time (gave ourselves no time) to sit around. So it felt good to sit
and read. About two the skies opened up and torrential rains
accompanied by intense lightning and thunder signaled impending flight
delays. Sure enough, by 4:20 we were bumped to 7:30. Then 8:30. 9:30.
10:00. Four intense thunder storms have pounded the field since 2,
each causing further delays, not because planes can't take off, but
planes can't land so there are no planes left to carry us away. So,
here we sit. We have been in the airport for 9 hours so far. How many
to go? Two at best, with no upper end in sight. For some perverse
reason I am enjoying it. I don't have anything really pressing, my
book is great, I have the Internet, texting and email to occupy me and
most importantly extreme temperature records are being set back home,
102 in Seattle, 106 in Toledo and high humidity. This air conditioned
airport with padded chairs and comfy carpet are just fine with us.

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment