Monday, May 5, 2014

400 Miles? Cheater! - Sunday, May 4

I always thought it would be cool to hike from Mexico to Canada-a continuous hike from border to border-walk every step-see all the sights and the changing topography, climate, vegetation and weather. I never felt like I wanted to do it for bragging rights (most people would think me crazy for doing it anyhow) but out of curiosity, for the challenge, and so I could say to myself I had done it. In the past I had always imagined it as a kind of solo adventure and perhaps that is what kept me from undertaking it. It is certainly a social experience now! But, the point is, I visualized it as walking an unbroken path from one border to the other.
I knew this hike was not that hike. I see this hike as a three month excursion on the trail with no distance goal in mind-just three months to help Sally get in shape, meet people and enjoy being outside.
However, I did not envision skipping large sections of the trail. Small ones perhaps, but not 140 miles. It does not upset my plans or goals. If there is one thing the trail teaches you it is to go with the flow. The best laid plans get altered due to blisters, injuries, trail closures, weather, PDB (Poodle Dog Bush), whatever. "It is what it is," has become our catch phrase.
I am much less flexible to change than Sally. She concocts alternatives faster than I can internalize them. So, I am on the trail hiking a 90 mile section in 4 days - one of her alternatives. I skipped about 130 miles ahead to do miles 370 to 456, leaving 226 to 370 to do with Sally once her foot heals. And so I find myself walking past the 400 mile mark on the trail with only about 245 miles under my belt. Imposter!! I pose for the picture knowing I will not hike this section again this season. It is now or not at all.
I woke up early today, 4:15, and cooked some oatmeal for breakfast. I started packing up to leave by light, about 5:15. My rustling around woke Whitewater, so the two of us left together. Hemlock joined us as we hit the road so together we walked the 2.7 miles of road to clear the portion of the trail closed due to an endangered frog. We passed thru a campground where we filled up with water from the faucet, then headed north on the PCT. The day passed hiking the trail which parallels highway 2 for about 15 miles before leaving it. We met a Hollywood stunt coordinator who was making a movie about the history of the PCT. He gave us his email address so we could view it. About 2 miles up the trail, where it crossed a dirt road, we found two gallons of water he had left for us along with a revision to his email. People are so thoughtful!

The last few miles of the day were uphill thru Poodle Dog Bush across very poorly maintained trail. We arrived on a ridge top nicely timbered with grassy undergrowth. A strong cool wind sent us scurrying for our coats. A few phone calls, dinner and blogging and the day was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment