Sunday, May 18, 2014

60 - Sunday, May 18

There are milestones in our lives. First day of school. Getting a drivers license. High school graduation. First day of college. First career job.  Marriage.  Children. Children leaving home. 60 Years Old!

What did I do on my 60th birthday (today)?  Well, I woke up after being in the hospital emergency room yesterday feeling better!  That's a good start. I did not eat anything until late afternoon, fearing a repeat of the day before. Dave, our Trail Saint played Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" for me on his incredible analog stereo system in his acoustically perfect room and took Sally and I for a hike up to the fire lookout a trail mile from his house. We registered to stay at Antlers Inn for the night, a cozy cottage nestled on the ridge in the San Bernardino mountains to let my disease run it's course without the stress of trail living. A missionary from a local church knocked on our cottage door offering fruit which we took and Sally invited him in to say a prayer for me. Sally made me a lunch of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup with Saltine Crackers and a dinner of Kraft Mac and Cheese.  Quite a day. 

So what is 60 like?  A lot better than 59 and 364 days. 

I was thinking I would be on the trail for my 60th, and I guess in a way I am. It's just that the trail led to a mountain cabin through an emergency room visit, something I never dreamed would happen. 

It's been a quiet day, both activity wise and intestinally, which is a good thing. Hopefully, a quick resolution to this digestive gymnastics event and we will be back on the actual trail soon. We thought this hike would be inexpensive-where can you spend money on a trail?  Turns out, trail towns and special events come too often and somehow siphon money from our wallets like pickpockets in Paris. 

So, from our cabin in the woods, perched on a king sized bed with a fire crackling in the fireplace and my stomach rumbling like a thunder storm blasting a high Sierra peak I enjoy the end of my 60th trip around the sun. Quite a milestone. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment