Monday, May 5, 2014

A Faster Pace - Saturday, May 3

I have hiked and climbed a lot over the past 50 years, but it has been a long time since I have hiked long distances on consecutive days. The last time was back in 1972 when Ed and I determined to beat the record for hiking the PCT in Washington, 21 days, held by my good friend Jim Macartney and his hiking partner Doug Driscoll. By today's standards it is not all that fast, but back then it was the mark to beat. Ed and I planned to complete it in 17 days, giving us a little wiggle room if we got slowed down. Back then it was 453 miles from the Canadian Border to the Columbia River, so we would have to average about 27 miles a day. Maps and information about the PCT were hard to come by in those days, but we planned as best we could.
Upon arriving at Manning Provincial Park we found we had not considered the hiking distance in Canada just to get to the trail, so all told our first day was 43 miles-not a bad feat with 50 pound external frame packs and heavy hiking/climbing boots, but that first day's effort took its toll on us. By day four we had covered 142 miles, but physically we were hurting and mentally we were done. We exited at our first resupply at the Suiattle River Road and my long distance thru hiking came to an abrupt halt.

When Sally drove away from the trailhead at Inspiration Point at milepost 370 this morning I was again faced with long miles to cover, although not like back in 1972. Agua Dulce lay 90 miles away to the west, and we set a pickup time and day of noon Wednesday, giving me 4 1/2 days to cover 90 miles, or 4 days of 20 miles each and a half day of 10. I had done some single day trips of upwards of 30 miles, but with day packs. This would be different. A heavier pack and four days of extended distances. I hoped I could pull it off without injury.

Two people were dropped off by a Trail Angel at the trailhead as I prepared my pack to leave. About ten minutes later I kissed Sally goodbye and watched as she drove away as I started up the trail. Within a mile I passed the "Three Amigos", Brent, Nate and ??, sleeping just off the trail, who I had not seen since MilePost 77. A quick greeting and I was back on the trail.
At mile five the trail began to switchback up to the top of Mount Baden-Powell at nearly 9200'. It was fun to stand atop this mountain, finally experiencing a mountain Max Eckenberg had talked of from his youth.
As the day progressed I fell into hiking with Whitewater and Hemlock, the two the angel had dropped off earlier. We shared the same pace and had similar distance goals in mind. Whitewater is a 53 year old contractor from Georgia and Hemlock is a mid 30's woman originally from Portland who earned her PhD in biology 5 years ago.

We finished off almost exactly 20 miles and camped together that evening. Hemlock sleeps in a hammock, so she wandered off into the woods in search of adequate trees to suspend herself from.
I knew I would not be hiking alone long, but I did not expect to be hooked up so soon. But, it is nice to share the experience with others and to get to know another pair of people on the PCT.

No comments:

Post a Comment