Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Friday, July 27, 2018 - The Big Drop


26.00 miles - Total to date - 182.82 miles
Ascent - 6762’ , Descent - 5208’ - Fowler Creek Trail (1242.80) to Campsites above Buck Summit (1268)

Last night we were camped on the edge of a precipice. Well that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but we did have a 2000’ drop from where we camped down to the Middle Fork of the Feather River. It was very warm last night. So much so that I only put my sleeping bag over me sometime around 2:00 am and only just over my mid section. 
Derek and I both were awake at 5:00 am and packed and moving by 5:30 am. We worked our way back to the trail, then began the 5 miles descent to the river. We talked as we descended, discussing Africa and safaris and adventures. At one point, a bee of some type flew up from near Derek’s feet and stung me on the forehead, right between my eyes. I quickly scraped the spot with a credit card to remove the stinger, then took two Benedryl, hoping to stop any swelling. It felt like someone was pushing a thumbtack into my forehead for the better part of an hour or so as we approached the bottom. 
A beautifully constructed steel and wood bridge spans the river. Once on the other side we followed a side trail to the river shore to soak our feet and wash up a bit. It was cooler near the river, yet still warm. Once we had eaten a bite, we started the long climb back up the other side, 3000’, from 2955’ to 5946’. At the top is Lookout Rock, an outcropping of rock overlooking the expanse to the east. With stops for water all along the way, we made the top about 1:00 pm. We met and leapfrogged Top Notch, Hercules, Braxton and an older hiker along the way. 
From Lookout Rock it is only three fairly flat miles to Big Creek Road that leads to the town of Quincy to the east and Bucks Lake, 2.3 miles to the west. Another road left Bucks Lake and crossed the PCT just 4.9 trail miles north. Much discussion ensued as to whether to visit Bucks Lake for a soda via the first road and return to the trail via the second road. It would have added about 2-3 miles to the day and made for 7+ miles of road walking. When we finally reached the first road, which was 19.5 miles for the day, we quickly decided to continue on the PCT. One long stop midway on this 4.9 mile section for water and food at a stream and we were at Buck’s Summit where the trail crossed the road. Here we found Water Rope, a kid from Austria who had just been dropped off, hitchhiking back from Quincy. He joined the group. 
It was here I thought I would say goodbye to Derek, Bailey, Logan, Braxton and Water Rope. They had plans to go another 7.5 miles up the trail to a camping spot that previous hikers had reported ATT signal. We already had 24 miles down. An addition 7.5 would make it nearly a 32 mile day. I knew I didn’t have it in me. As the crew left the road and started up the trail I walked across the broad expanse of parking lot for snow sports to a pit toilet bathroom, leisurely used the facility, then walked back and began up the trail. There was water in one mile where I planned to fill up for dry camping at a spot another 1.3 miles up the trail. This would give me 26 for the day, on the heels of a 28 mile day. Plenty.  At the water I found the crew cooking dinner. I chatted as I filled my bottles then slowly continued my climb to the camping site. I pitched my tent and crawled inside. For the first 15 minutes I just lay on my back, relaxing, recovering and resting. Then I began blowing up my sleeping pad and cooking dinner. The crew said hi as they hiked past and to look for them in Belden the next day, 16 miles down the trail. 
I cooked a huge pan of rice and chicken, struggled to eat it all and listened through the fabric as another party set up camp in the site. I also watched part of The Vietnam War series.  I was asleep by 8:45 pm.








No comments:

Post a Comment