Sunday, July 22, 2018

Saturday, July 21, 2018 - Running the Ridge Above Tahoe


19.48 miles - 4060 ascent - 3477 Descent - Blackwater Creek (1127) to ridge campsite (1146)

The day had three ridge traverses of epic scenery with two descents into wooded valleys separating them. Glorious views, endless meadows of thick flowers, and a well placed trail hugging the ridge line were the highlights. 

It was a day of mostly hiking by myself. I passed tents with sleeping campers, both in the Blackwater and on the ridge early on, but encountered no one on the trail for miles. I had the first section of ridge all to myself. Not until nearly nine did I run into a father and dad out on the trail. For the day, I suspect I saw 30 people, more or less, most day hikers or trail runners hiking between Donner Pass and Squaw Valley Ski Resort. 

I am slowly learning that all the seasonal water sources are still flowing. This I find surprising as it is nearing the end of July. This will allow me to carry less water, thereby lightening my pack. I still error on the side of caution, packing more water than I need, but I am beginning to adapt. Guthook’s app does a great job of showing where the water sources are, and people commenting about each one has kept the information up to date. I am learning how much to pack for dry camping-usually much less than I carry. 

I ran into G. I. Joe and Foodie today at the last water source before Donner. They are section hiking southbound, G.I. Joe to Sonora Pass and Foodie just to Echo Summit. From there she will go to Washington to climb Rainier with friends, then be in Belden on July 30 to continue north on the trail. We agreed to look for each other on the 30th, but looking on my schedule after we parted I think I will be out of Belden a few days before that. 

Tonight is the first night I have camped with anyone. Hip, a marine biologist on floating Tuna warehouses in the Pacific is headed north, keeping nearly my pace.  We may get to spend some days leap frogging each other. 

I last saw Pievee last night as she headed a few more miles up the trail. As she is quicker than I and I didn’t pass her this morning, I was sure she was ahead of me and gone. But, I was sitting in my tent, eating dinner when I heard a voice outside. It was Pievee. She had side trip to Five Lakes during the morning and I had passed her by. We chatted for 15 minutes, then she headed down the trail, hoping to get a few miles closer to Donner Pass to catch the morning breakfast. 

I felt better today than the two days before. Hopefully this trend will continue. 














No comments:

Post a Comment