Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Friday , August 10, 2018 - Derek Leaves the Trail


26.1 miles - Total to date - 458.8 miles
Ascent - 3344’ , Descent - 2593’ - Campsite on the ridge (1516.9) To First water past Parks Creek Trailhead (1543.1)

I woke up a couple times during the night to the smell of strong smoke. When I got up in the morning the air was thick with the smell of smoke and visibility was very poor. Even the trees 50 yards away were partially obscured by the haze. At times this morning I walked with a kerchief around my face, bandit style, because the smoke seemed so strong. 

We got up a little later than normal, 5:45 am instead of 5:00 am. We were on the trail by about 6:30 am. We were a little slower than usual, but not bad. Derek had to stop fairly often but we made the ten miles to the road in good time.  
The road was paved, but not used much. Derek sat down next to the road after we found we had no cell service. I ran up on the hill adjacent to the road and got one bar, but could not place a call. I came back down to figure out what to do next. Thirty minutes had elapsed and not a car was to be seen. As we started to discuss what to do next we simultaneously heard the rumbling of what sounded like a motor vehicle. I jumped out into the road, determined to stop whatever vehicle appeared. A white  truck with a Forest Service logo came around the corner. I waved my hands over my head as if trying to signal a low flying aircraft and stood in the middle of the road. Two men in their 30’s were in the cab. I quickly explained about Derek's giardiasis and asked if they could take him to town. They said it was against the rules, but they would do it. Derek loaded his pack in and was off. I was suddenly alone on my hike again. 
Derek has many followers on YouTube and Facebook. One is a doctor from San Diego. He offered to phone in a prescription to the Rite Aid in Mt. Shasta. We knew it would be waiting for Derek when he got there. 
I shouldered my pack and headed up the trail. 0.8 miles up the trail was Picayune Spring. I hiked the 0.3 miles off the trail (and down about 300 vertical feet) to get water, then back up to the PCT and onward. 
I had two goals today and neither involved distance. The trail passed near two lakes, Porcupine Lake, ten miles up the trail from the spring and Deadfall Lake, six miles past Porcupine. I wanted to swim in both lakes. 
I made Porcupine Lake in mid afternoon. I found Road Runner having a cooked lunch at the trail junction to the lake. It was only 0.3 miles off the PCT. I hiked into the lake, stripped and enjoyed a deliciously warm and cleansing swim. I had the lake to myself. Clothes back on and on the trail again. 
I made Deadfall lake about 5:00 pm and enjoyed another dip. This time a guy from Israel was at the lake. I have said hi to him 5 or 6 times over the past few days. Every time he either doesn't respond or just grunts as a response. This time I decided to wait for him to initiate contact. He never acknowledged that I was there.  I ignored him, stripped and swam. I got dressed again and was back on the trail in 20 minutes. The lake was a beautiful place to camp, but I wanted to get some more miles under me before the day was out. 
From the lake to the Parks Creek road crossing was only three miles, and slightly downhill. I got there in about an hour. I had been thinking of camping there, but it was not an inviting location. I noticed I had cell service so I tried to call Sally. She didn't pick up. I texted Derek. He had gotten the antibiotics and was resting, grateful to be on the mend. I shouldered my pack and headed on. The trail went gradually downhill for the next four miles and I picked what looked like a promising water source and camping area off the map on my phone. I tried calling Sally again and she picked up, but I had moved far enough on the trail that the signal was terrible. A mile further I saw a saddle to my right that had the same aspect as the parking lot. I climbed up off the trail and found I had signal again. I called, but she didn't pick up. 
It was getting late now, about 7:00 pm. I hiked the 3+ miles and found a delightful meadow to camp in, right next to a trickle of a creek. I set up my tent and cooked dinner outside my tent for once. No bugs, no bees, just me and the trees. While I waited for dinner to cook I soaked my feet in one of the pools. 
With dinner done and it nearly dark I crawled into the tent to eat. Sleep came quickly. This had to be the first time I had camped without Derek in at least two weeks. 









No comments:

Post a Comment