Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Day 23 - Sunday, May 1, 2022 - 14.6 miles - 42,604 steps - MP 509 of the CDT to MP 524- Vert Up - 250’ Vert Dwn - 475.7’ - Total Miles to Date - 425.7

Zero day coming! Just 14 or so miles to go to get to Grants, NM, then a day of rest. The last zero day was Silver City back on April 18th. 


Waited for the sun to peek above the horizon before slipping out of my sleeping bag. It has been cold every morning. Right at or below the freezing point. I find ice in my bottles many mornings. 

Had a 8.5 mile walk to reach interstate 40. A gas station/SubWay was there. Arrived about 9:25am. We were told the Subway would be open in 15 minutes, a wait we were willing to take. But, when it stretched to half an hour with no end on site, we gave up and move outside to eat food from our packs. 

We still had 5 miles of walking to get us to Grants. In particular there was a bar called the Junk Yard on the way. It opened at noon. Dallas called and confirmed they opened at noon. Their webpage showed a menu of hamburgers, ribs and other great looking food. All we had to do was walk the frontage road for 5 miles. 

This is fun. The frontage road is part of Route 66, so we walked five miles of Route 66 to get to the bar. 

We arrived at 11:30am. Although we were all anxious to get to our hotel rooms and rest we decided to wait for them to open. Hamburgers, ribs, etc. Dallas and Aaron were both looking forward to having a beer. 

The bar maid drove in a few minutes before noon, unlocked the door and then told us the cook didn’t show up until 1:30 or 2:00. What!?!

Dallas and Aaron had a beer, I had a bottled water and we left. Checkout the photos of the bar below but was rough looking and a hoot. 

Dallas turned off to go to the Motel 6. Aaron and I kept straight. Just before my motel, the Southwest, left over from the 50 & 60s heyday of Route 66, was a burger place, Lotsaburger. It was really good!

It’s a Nero day today, zero tomorrow. I rested on my room for a few hours, my feet elevated on the wall above the head board of the bed with ice balanced on them. They were quite sore from all the pavement walking (32 miles

Of it over the past two days). 

I about 5 I walked the 1.5 miles to an Asian Buffet all you can eat to Load up on vegetables. I had three

Heaping plates of Beef and Broccoli (I picked through when loading my plate to avoid beef) and a green bean dish. Not an inviting place to eat, but I did get a good vegetable load. 

Next it was a walk to Walmart to get some Shoe Goo, food for my zero and other small items. I stopped at D”Anne’s room at the Motel 6 to grab a Stove canister she had picked up for me, a quick stop at Subway for a

Foot long Turkey sandwich for tomorrow and then hoofed it back to the Southwest before dark. 

With food and supplies in, I am almost set for my zero. I still have to Get to the post office tomorrow to pick up my resupply and forward the package I sent myself from Pie Town on to Cuba. The post office is about 1.5 miles in the opposite direction as Walmart. A long walk on a zero day. There is a shuttle in town. 75¢ anywhere in town. I might employ them. 



Walking into town. 


A stop at the gas station for a drink and bite to eat. 


Walking on Route 66


The Junk Yard bar. Looks like the place out of the visor game “Full Throttle”.


The Southwest 


Icing my feet




No comments:

Post a Comment