Friday, May 20, 2022

Thursday, May 19, 2022 - 0.0 miles - 0 steps - MP 629 to MP 629- Vert Up - 0’ Vert Dwn - 0’ - Total Miles to Date - 537.3

A quick update. I’ve been off trail for 11 days,  on the road with Sally and grandson Robby for 9 of those days, 6 of the 9 car camping in Yosemite Valley. We start driving toward home in Toledo tomorrow. 


While off trail, some monumental changes have occurred concerning the hike. All of northern New Mexico, from Grants to the Colorado border has been closed to all recreational use due to the extremely high fire danger. This includes my route on the CDT from Cuba to Cumbres Pass in Colorado. This means I will not be returning to Cuba as planned. I will still fly into Albuquerque, but I will now bus to Chama in northern New Mexico and start walking north again from Cumbres Pass, Colorado, being forced to skip about 140 miles of New Mexico due to the closure. A $1000 fine and jail time are threatened if you are found hiking in the closed forest. Am I disappointed at missing this portion of the trail?  A bit, but such is the nature of thru hiking during this time of global warming. Forests catch fire with extreme frequency and ridiculously early in the season (Early May?  Really?) forcing closures and walk arounds. When planning this adventure my concern was fire in Montana and Idaho in August and September, not New Mexico the first weeks of May. We will see how this plays out as the seasons advance. 

Interestingly, this nearly puts me back on my original schedule. By coming home for two weeks and then returning to hike northern New Mexico I would have delayed by two weeks my entry into the San Juan Mtns of southern Colorado. But now, by bussing around northern New Mexico my delay only amounts to a little less than a week. The snow has been melting, but I suspect I will be on continuous snow for at least the first couple of weeks of Colorado. Traveling, camping and negotiating snow covered terrain doesn’t concern me. What does is the speed with which I can move. Maintaining a 20+ mile per day pace while postholing could be tough. I’ll have crampons and an ice ax, so I may find myself traveling in the wee hours of the morning to attain solid ice to walk upon. Whatever, I’ll have to adapt my schedule to contend with whatever conditions I am presented with. 

I purchased a new pack and shoes while away, both are waiting for me at home in Toledo (I’m still in Yosemite as I write this). I bought the Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack, hoping for a more comfortable fit than my previous REI Flash 62. My shoes are a pair of Asolo Fugitives, a slightly more substantial shoe than the Salomon trail shoes. I have worn them before. They are very water proof (Goretex lined) and provide a bit more support for cramponing. I still have three pair of Salomons in reserve for the rest of the hike and any I don’t use I can return to REI. 

Where are the people I was formally hiking with?  Dallas is driving to South Pass City in Wyoming on the 20th and hiking south bound (SoBo) to Rawlings, WY and then plans to return to Chama and head north, depending on snow conditions. Jean-Bruno (I’m French) is joining her. Magic Mike is doing something similar. They too are trying to buy time while the snow melts, but doing so by hiking the snow free portions of the trail in the great divide basin in Wyoming. I don’t know where everyone else is (Kingo, Peppermint, Legs, Hornsby, Grit, etc) but I suspect I’ll learn more when I get back on trail. I’ve texted them, but I have not heard back. I suspect they might be out of service on the trail somewhere. 

In summary, all is good!! I’ve had an amazing week with Sally and Robby in Yosemite. Craig and Barb Oen have been here with us. We’ve biked, hiked and taken Robby bouldering. Friends from the park service have stopped by, so lots of visiting. I’ve eaten more than I would have thought possible and likely regained any weight I lost on the trail. Anything sore from the abuse of 20+ mile days for a month has healed.  I fly out on Wednesday the 25th and hope to be hiking that day or the 26th. I’ve only complete one month out of five and only 537 miles out of about 3000, so there is much more ahead of me than behind. Looking forward to it!   Life is amazing!!



Craig, Barb, Sally, Robby and Chuck at the Mariposa Grove 


Sally and Robby at the upper grove of sequoia. 


Magnificent trees. 


Robby plays hydronic engineer building a dam in a small creek next to the snow swollen Merced River

Robby bouldering near the Awahnee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment