Monday, April 18, 2022

Day 10 - Monday, April 18, 2022 - 0.0 miles - 4,485 steps - Zero Day at the Triple Crown Hostel, Silver City - Vert Up - 0’ Vert Dwn - 0’

Silver City is a pretty cool town. The historic downtown area is super quaint. And just like most old towns, the historic district is surrounded by strip malls and box stores. 

The hostel has free loaner bikes. I made good use of them to tour the town today and run errands. I shopped at the dollar store for some items, then down to the post office to mail some packages home, over to the thrift shop to find a light pair of shorts for the hot springs along the Gila River. Back to the hostel and cooked another frittata, this one for lunch, wash some clothes. I put Shoe Goo on the treads on the soles of my shoes in an attempt to slow the wear and tear and make them last longer. With my only pair of shoes upside down drying in the sun I spent a few hours lounging on the patio talking with the other hikers. 

I was staying close to my phone, anticipating the birth of our fourth grandchild. About 4:30 the word came in, a new baby boy with mom and son healthy. No name yet. Maybe Samwise. 

I made ham, egg and cheese burritos for dinner along with a huge helping of broccoli, FaceTimed with my new grandson and sat on the patio again talking with everyone. There are about 20 people here, nearly all I have met on the trail at one point or another and nearly all staying two nights, taking a zero day. 

The plan: be at the door of the coffee shop Tranquilbuzz for a pastry at 6:55 (opens at 7:00) then off to the trail. It is 46 miles to Doc Campbell’s, the next resupply. They are closed Wednesday and don’t open until noon on Thursday so there is no need for big miles, two and a half days to cover the distance. 





No comments:

Post a Comment