Monday, July 11, 2022

Day 74 - Thursday, July 7, 2022 - 20.1 miles - 49,004 steps - MP 1437.8 (Where trail leaves highway 40) to MP 1458.0 (Beautiful Campsite above the cliffs) - Vert Up - 3146’ - Vert Dwn - 1403’ - Total Miles to Date - 1144.9

Jon offered a bagel, cream cheese, a banana and a cup of tea for breakfast. I heartily accepted. Then we loaded into his Subaru and headed for Rabbit Ears Pass. We picked up D’Anne at the Quality Inn, and Quiet hitching on the highway. We dropped Quiet first, he had already hiked some of the trail, then he dropped Dallas and I at the location where the CDT leaves the highway and ducks into the woods and meadows. 


Luckily for me, the trail was not too difficult today. I was still reacting to the COVID vaccine I got Tuesday afternoon and was really sick. The first few miles of the trail were the old Rabbit Ears Pass highway, still paved. That was wonderful because I could close my eyes and walk without fear of tripping. It felt like too much energy output to look and walk at the same time. My left arm was killing me and I was drained of all energy. I was hiking with D’Anne again. We had not hiked together since Grants, New Mexico, back about May 8th. 


We had set a goal of 19.5 miles for the day, a lake. About 4 miles before it Hammer and Kyle caught up with me. We stopped at the Buffalo Pass Access Point mostly because there was an outhouse. After using the facilities we were back on the trail to the lake. We had noticed comments about “epic camping” on top of the cliffs a half mile beyond the lake. I was really hurting and we tried to find camping at the lake that would work, but it just seemed buggy and damp. I sucked it up and hiked up the next half mile. D’Anne found great spots to set up with an expansive view on the territory spreading out to the east with the promise of an awesome sunrise. 


I lay in my tent for half an hour before I felt I had the strength to cook dinner (light the stove and boil 2 cups of water). Exhausted as I was, I wondered how I would find the strength to hike again tomorrow. My arms, neck and back were killing me along with overall body fatigue. A good night’s sleep can fix this?  We’ll see. 



The trail out of Rabbit Ears Pass was spectacularly beautiful. The flowers are now blooming, the vegetation lush. It has been raining a lot with afternoon thunderstorms so everything is wet and growing. 


Kyle and Hammer hanging out at the outhouse at Buffalo Pass Access Point. Sit down toilets are always appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment