Sunday, July 17, 2022

Day 83 - Saturday, July 16, 2022 - 0.0 miles - 5052 steps - Zero Day in Rawlins - Vert Up - 0’ - Vert Dwn - 0’ - Total Miles to Date - 1267.0

I’m pulling the plug. The pain is not going away or even diminishing. Last night was just as bad as the night I got here. Contemplating nights in my tent with this continued pain level is nor acceptable. Where is the fun in that?  I can’t write because the pain goes all the way to my forearms. I can’t find a comfortable sleep position. I can’t keep hiking masking the pain with 12 ibuprofen a day. What am I doing to my body in the long term? It makes no sense to continue. Yes, I’d love to hike the Winds and Yellowstone, but not when I witness both through a haze of pain. So, I’m done. I texted Sally to say I’m coming home. I don’t want to interrupt her summer plans so I’ll have to take care in my actions once home. 


We talked on the phone and cemented the deal. I bought a Greyhound ticket to Ft. Collins, arranged with Groome a shuttle to Denver’s airport and purchased tickets on United for the flight home. All on Monday. One more night in Rawlins after tonight. 


Monk and I took a taxi to the Post Office where he picked up a package and mailed food ahead. I mailed my knife, stove, tent stakes and scissors home; the items that would have prevented me from carrying my pack on the plane. Lunch at Bucks, then we walked back to the Econolodge. Another night of hot showers and ice packs and ibuprofen. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that your hike is ending this way, Chuck! Hope that you rejuvenate quickly once you are back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coach.
    It's a pity that you have to stop hinking. At Rawlings, exactely like me but not for the same reason. Hope all will be good for you in the future.
    Blue Rabbit

    ReplyDelete