Thursday, June 15, 2023

June 11, 2023 - Day 42 - to Palas de Rei - 15.3 miles - +1963’ - -1364’

Awake at 6:00am. I packed quickly and went downstairs to make breakfast. Last night I had scrambled a dozen eggs, then put them in the fridge overnight. This morning we just took a helping and nuked it. The left over I bagged up to be used for lunch-egg salad sandwiches. 

We left together and walked back through town to the route, followed it down out of town then started the long uphill, 8 miles worth. It wasn’t steep, just steadily up hill for the next four hours, punctuated by level areas, the occasional downhill and 2 or three coffee/beer/soda stops. 

The number of people on the Way had drastically increased. It was busy before, but now the numbers must have doubled. Sally and I stopped for a quick rest and snack. In the 10 minutes we sat well over 100 people streamed past. 

Even though I had been here four years earlier, I couldn’t remember much of this section. Occasionally, I would recognize a bridge or building, but most of it was unremarkable. This is in contrast to the previous 100 miles where I felt like I remembered nearly every curve in the road and field alongside. I am not sure what makes this stretch so unremarkable. 

When we reached Palas de Rei we walked past the albergue we stayed in last time (I recognized it!) and found our new place, Casa Verde. We were on the third floor (56 stairs up). We had our own room with four bunks. Becky and I descended to the street and walked the 2 blocks to the grocery store for dinner while Sally rested. Dinner of prepared salads in plastic bowls then rest and preparations for tomorrow. Becky was on the phone to Greg finalizing a flight home in 4 days while Sally and her checked out bus and train transportation to Madrid, a hotel to stay at and transport to the airport. 

Longest day of this last section tomorrow so we planned to be up at 5:00am and moving by 6:00am. Today we didn’t get in until nearly 5:00pm. Too late. 



Becky on the wide path that is now the Camino


The trail is really crowded now. Most of the time there are 50 people in site, either ahead, behind or both. 


It is a pretty walk


Us with the Georgia Boys just outside Pals de Rei

No comments:

Post a Comment