Sunday, June 11, 2023

June 9, 2023 - Day 40 - to Barbadelo - 13.5 miles - +2138’ - -2618’

Another split day. Sally is feeling fatigued and needs another day off to be sure she doesn’t injure herself by pushing too hard. We have seen so many old (and younger people too) hurt themselves by pushing to hard. Shin splints, severe blisters, torn achilles. Sally is smart. Rather than incur the injury and then try to recover, just moderate your activities to be sure you avoid the injury in the first place. So, she is taking a taxi today from Triacastela to Sarria where I will meet her and then walk together the remaining 3 miles to Barbadelo. Becky will sleep in a bit and come along later. 

I was up at 5:45am and out of our room by 6:00am. I stopped at the kitchen downstairs and scrambled 2 eggs, wolfed them down and was out the door and walking by 6:15am. 

It was barely light, but it brightened enough to illuminate under the heavy tree cover that arched over the road. There were half a dozen people already our but I set a quick pace and soon had the road to myself. I called my brother Ken and talked with him for 15-20 minutes. I didn’t realize he was in Sun Valley so instead of 9:30pm as I suspected it would be at his home in  Seattle it was 10:30pm, too late to be calling. 

The path was beautiful, under trees, verdant and green and moist. Soon I was high enough to get territorial views across the farms, fields and forests below. 

I called Andy and FaceTimed him for over an hour as I padded along. 

I walked nonstop for ten and a half miles to Sarria, arriving 10 minutes after Sally arrived by taxi, about 10:15. I rested for a few minutes, then we walked into downtown to a grocery store to buy the next three meals. 

With the food stashed in my pack, we began our walk to Barbadelo. Within 10 minutes the sky opened up with a soaking rain. I whipped out my umbrella and Sally donned her rain gear. It didn’t last too long, maybe 15 minutes. There weren’t any people for the moment and the sky had lightened up. We took the opportunity to film a quick hello to Robbie’s 1st grade class, explaining where Mrs. Caley has been for the past month instead of in their classroom. 

Checked in, I was a slug for the rest of the afternoon, tired and lethargic. Sally went swimming in the pool. The sky opened up and dumped about 3:00pm. Sally and I looked out the window from our room and wondered how Becky was doing in the downpour. She arrived about 3:30pm.  The rain has quit. The remainder of the afternoon was rest and dinner. Another great day. 



Beautiful views out over the Spanish countryside. 



Looks like western Washington 



A mom and her two children climb the steps in Sarria. Also, the crowds begin as weeklong walkers start on Saturday from Sarria. 



The rain begins. Luckily it only lasted about half an hour for us. Becky got two storms during her walk. 



Our Barbadelo lodgings



Sally in the pool. 






No comments:

Post a Comment