Thursday, June 15, 2023

June 13, 2023 - Day 44 - to O Pedrouso - 13.6 miles - +1519’ - -1716’

We were up at 5:30am, grabbed our bags we had packed the night before and slipped out of our shared room and into the dining area of the albergue.  We had a meat and cheese sandwich for breakfast and were then out the door. We thought Becky would join us, but at the last minute she had something else to do. 

Like yesterday, much of today was not memorable. We walked through some small towns and ate at some trail side cafes under overcast skies. It was ideal walking weather. Rain was in the forecast for late in the afternoon but didn’t appear until we inside our albergue. Rosie again walked with us most of the day as did Becky. Becky caught up with us at the first Coke stop. 

Our albergue for tonight gave its address as O Pedrouso, but it really was in O Pine about a mile and a half short. This caught me off guard and it was lucky that both Becky and Sally were on top of it or I would have walked right past.  I was hoping it would be closer to Santiago to shorten tomorrow’s final walk into Santiago and the “finish line”, but it added about a mile and a half to tomorrow’s walk. Since it was out of town, there were no grocery stores or restaurants nearby. I had some curly noodles, carrots and chicken bullion cubes in my pack that we could have made dinner from, but the albergue had pizza delivery service and I fell victim. 

I have to admit to being grouchy once we arrived. I was tired, and I suppose very hungry. Looking back at the day I had not eaten much. Sally and I split a pizza and we both downed it ravenously. Becky ate a whole pizza. After the pizza, I cooked up a pot of noodles, bullion and carrot soup and ate the whole pot. Not full, but no longer hungry. I watched “Avatar, Way of Water” while cooking and eating and resting afterwards. 

We went to bed fairly early with plans to rise at 4:30am and be walking by 5:30am. 



Overnight rains have muddied up the trail



Words of wisdom along the trail




No comments:

Post a Comment