Wednesday, June 21, 2023

June 20, 2023 - Day 51 - to Muxia - 13.6 miles - +1546’ - -2139’

Last night my Brazilian roommate’s and I worked through our English/Spanish/Portuguese language barrier to establish they were rising at 5:00am and leaving by 6:00am. I told them I was rising at 6:00am and leaving by 7:00am, hoping I might sleep in just a bit. She also indicated they would quietly sneak out when they got up. 

Sleeping in was not in the cards for me (never is) and i woke at 4:30am, but rested until they had vacated the room by 5:20am. I got out of my bunk at 5:40am and did my 15 minute yoga routine. The stretching felt good as I was admittedly a little stiff from the 41 miles in the previous two days. I didn’t have to worry over breakfast because I was out of food. I had my pack on and was out the door at 6:17am. 

At about 4.5 miles I found an open bar and stopped in for a piece of lemon cake and a muffin. It was a quick stop and I was on the road. I was again listening to Cryptonomicon as I walked and was laughing out load at the story. It just cracks me up. 

At one point the trail make a large loop off the direct route to avoid 0.5 miles of highway walking. I avoided the loop and took my chances on the highway. Pretty narrow shoulders, but I survived the 10 or so cars that passed by as I walked it. Compared to the Japanese Zero fire Bobby Shaftoe and General MacAuthur were dodging in my book, this highway walking was pretty tame stuff. 

I called Sally when I was about half an hour from town to let her know when I would be there. She and Nicki were out at the end of the point visiting the church. 

Muxia is absolutely magnificent. I little compact town on a narrow peninsula, Atlantic Ocean on one side, a protected bay on the other. 

I got to the room at about 11:30am. Sally arrived in just a few minutes to let me in the room and show me how to set up my phone to unlock the door. Pretty cool. 

I showered, then we checked out the street fair of vendor selling clothing and food. We also put a load of clothes in the washing machine. When we got back they were still washing. We hoped to get Sally’s load in, but it just kept washing. Nicki and Sally headed to the beach to swim. I looked up the owners manual and found the cycle we were I was three hours long. I restarted it on the quick 28 minute cycle. When I was finally able to put Sally’s clothes in I then headed to the beach. They were done swimming, but sat on the beach and chatted a bit before we walked back to the room. Somewhere in this time we made two trips to the grocery store. Then we had to dry our clothes so we walked to the laundromat and used €2 to dry our clothes. 

That taken care of, we searched out where we could drop Sally's pack for transport. We found out that the Xardin Cafe serves as a pickup point after inquiring at two albergues. 

With all the details settled, Sally met with Nicki for drinks and I headed for the end of the peninsula to se the ocean, the church and the top of the hill above the town. All as spectacular as I remember. 

Back I the room I ate two fried egg sandwiches (only substantial food of the day). Sally returned, we packed up, and it was bed time to the sounds seagulls and surf. 



Muxia comes into view as I walk towards town



The “Way” with Muxia in the background 



Sally checks the merchandise at the street market 



Muxia from the hilltop between town and church



Church on the shore at the end of the peninsula 



Sally and Nicki at the church site



Carol, Leslie (Netherlands), Christine, Sally and Nicki



Muxia occupies the peninsula 




No comments:

Post a Comment