Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Day 41 - Saturday, June 4, 2022 - 16.3 miles - 47,395 steps - MP 912.0 to MP 928.3 - Vert Up - 4356’ Vert Dwn - 3395’ - Total Miles to Date - 667.5

Today was the most beautiful scenery of the trip! The mountains were spectacular!!


I started out from my campsite next to the river. I have to admit I was surprised no one had come by during the evening. The trail now is above tree line nearly continuously. I am amazed at the thickness of the willow bushes up here. Moose must like it because I think I saw three. Could have been elk, but they were a ways off and just didn’t look like elk. 

Yesterday I hiked past East Ute Lake. Today I hiked by West Ute Lake. 

Everyone is either faster and in front of me or slower and behind me, so I walk alone. 

The Continental Divide makes a u-shaped bend down in this corner of Colorado and the trail stays true to its name and makes the same U shaped route. The mountains down in this southwest corner are magnificent. The trail stays a bit to the east of them, but it takes you into the drainage on the east side affording a great view. (See photos below). I am here at just the perfect time. There is still snow clinging to gully’s and faces on the mountains highlighting their features, but the trail is nearly snow free. I met a trail runner today that told me the reason the snow melted so quickly this spring was dust storms. The snow got a healthy layer of dust. The dust being dark colored causes the snow to melt quicker. 

Toward the end of my day, about 3:30pm, I was  contemplating whether to camp where I was at the time or go on up a little. I had just decided to go up the trail a bit more when I saw a hiker without a pack coming down. He stopped to chat. He was doing trail magic up at Stony Pass, about two miles up the trail. He was looking for some particular hikers he had had to leave due to a reoccurring knee injury he was suffering. I walked up to the pass with him (it is on the CDT). There Google, Cheese and Lush were waiting. His car couldn’t make it to the trail due to snow on the road so we walked the 100 yards to his car. He had folding chairs for all five of us and cold sodas, home made brownies, watermelon, chocolate bars and chips. My first trail magic of the trip. 

This was happening right at the pass and a strong wind was blowing. After 30 minutes we broke up and headed out to establish a camp for the night. The other three headed north on the trail. There was a roofless log cabin with three foot walls. I set up my tent in the “cabin” hoping for wind protection from the three foot walls. It helped deflect the wind a little and I got a good nights sleep. 



Glacier Lillies are busting out all over. It is one of the first flowers to bloom after the snow 



West Ute Lake 



One of the Ute Lakes, still partially frozen over with peaks behind 




Some of the impressive peaks I walked by yesterday 



Beautiful peaks. Dead trees 



Willows are blooming-spring is drawing near



The Rockies are so big!


No comments:

Post a Comment