Monday, June 13, 2022

Day 47 - Friday, June 10, 2022 - 19.7 miles - 49,725 steps - MP 980.6 (Cochetopa Creek) to MP 1000.3 (Hill above Ant Creek) - Vert Up - 1569’ - Vert Dwn - 3555’ - Total Miles to Date - 739.8

I got up quietly, cooked my Apples and Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal, packed up and slipped out of camp while the other four tents remained quiet. Hopefully I didn’t wake them. Today the trail follows the Cochetopa River for 14 miles before climbing out of this river drainage and crossing to another. 14  miles of gentle downhill and level, following the river. Because I get moving by 6:00am, I rarely see anyone for the first few hours. The air is cool at this time of morning. 


At 7 miles I stopped to take some Ibuprofen for  my right knee which is slightly swollen and has been for more than a week. It has not gotten worse with time and abuse, so I just listen to what it has to say and try to keep it happy. While stopped I ate first lunch and aired my feet, socks and boots. Squint came by and we chatted for awhile.  He had gone on the trail that goes over the top of San Luis Peak and descended by the Stewart Creek Trail. San Luis is a 14,000+ foot peak, one of many “fourteeners” near the trail. 

The trail continued down the river. It was magnificent. Aspen and firs on the hills lining the valley. The river has a channel that runs unobstructed down the broad valley bottom but on either side of this channel the beaver have been busy for years creating dams, ponds and lodges. Many dams are so old there are shrubs and trees growing out of them. They remind me of terraced rice patties. 


Eventually, the trail climbs out of the Cochetopa River Valley and crosses over to another river valley. Before it did, I stopped by the river to eat lunch and found “Just Mary” already on the bank washing, cleaning, and eating lunch. I crashed her one person party and soaked my foot for 15 minutes (trying to keep my plantars fasciitis in check) while downing 6 Ritz crackers with cheddar and hard salami slices. Just Mary is from Montreal. 


The trail now climbs over to the adjoining river drainage. While climbing the hill Squint over took me. Just Mary did the same descending the other side. The trail is now a double track dirt road. I found Just Mary stopped in the middle of it. When I caught up to her she sheepishly reported she had cell service and was catching up with family and friends. I did the same. Cell service is rare along the trail. I downloaded my latest mail and messages. 


Sally has been dying at home due to the rain. It appears one “atmospheric river” after another has been drenching the PNW. In my text messages I saw one from Expedia summarizing a  two week trip to Corfu in September. I messaged her about it, telling her it was a great idea. I’ll still be on the trail unless I get booted off by fires, a very likely if not totally certain prospect. 


I only had about 3 or 4 miles to go to my camping spot on the hill above Ant Creek. When I arrived I noticed I still had service. I called and we chatted for over an hour. What a luxury!  I just sat in the grass talking and resting. When we finally hung up, I set up my tent with a nice view to the north of open meadows and distant mountains with Aspen and for trees. It was beautiful. I was surprised that no one had come down the trail while I talked to Sally, but over the next hour Monk, Sunny D, Puddles and Pig Pen passed by and said hi as they did. 


I wrote a little in my blog, then watched episode 5 of Stranger Things” before nodding off for the night. 


Today was beautiful!! The Cochetopa River Valley was magnificent. The 14 miles of trail following its gentle downward slope were wonderful to cruise down. The sides of the valley were lavishly covered in Aspen and Fir trees. The beaver dams were amazing. I am sure I passed moose but I was too busy watching my foot placements to avoid injury. And my campsite was flat and encompassed an amazing view. What a day!!



Beaver Dams in the Cochetopa. 



Sunlight on the sides of the Cochetopa river drainage




Wild iris’s growing alongside the trail. 



The trail is a road for the remainder of the day and most of the next day too. 





No comments:

Post a Comment