Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Day 44 - Tuesday, June 7, 2022 - 0 miles - 11,291 steps - MP 961.1 (Spring Creek Pass) to MP 961.1 (Spring Creek Pass) - Vert Up - 0’ Vert Dwn - 0’ - Total Miles to Date - 700.3

A non-zero zero day. So much to do. Laundry. Shopping. Dining. Gear repair. Birthday cards and presents. Mailing stuff at the Post Office. When does the zero kick in. The answer: tomorrow.


I slept long and well last night. Didn’t even

Wake up until 8:30am this morning. After lazing in my quilt and on my new zpad sleeping pad I put on my rain gear, and only my rain gear and walked to the office where the washing machines are. It took an hour or more to wash and dry all my clothes (that is why I am wearing my rain gear, everything else is being washed). I then grabbed all the things I figured I didn’t need anymore and walked to the Post Office to mail them to Andy. Crampons, an extra down coat, a pad out of my pack, glow outers and some other stuff. Then over to the grocery store for extra food for the trail ahead some apples and oranges and goodies for today. Then began the search for a birthday card for Junie. I walked all over town looking for an age appropriate card for her. Never found one, but I found a nice one with a deer and mountains, appropriate for Colorado. Repacked my food for this next leg and then spent some tent time organizing gear. A shower was squeezed in there, then a walk to the other end of town looking for a birthday present. Success. Now back to the Post Office. I really didn’t feel like walking so I ask the people running the campground if they had a bike I could borrow. They did, an electric bike that wa really more of an electric motorcycle although you did have to turn the pedals to get the electric motor to engage but didn’t have to apply any pressure. So at 22mph I zipped to the other end of town to mail Junie’s card and presents, then to the grocery store for tea. While shopping Sally called and we talked for 10 minutes until I checked out and then rode back to the campground, returned the bike with a million thank yous and called Sally back and chatted for about an hour. The it was off to dinner with Woodpecker, G-string and Nurse. Back to Packers. As we walked into the outside dinning area I spotted GD and Franzia at the same time they spotted me. Screams of delight and hugs!  I haven’t seen them for two weeks. We chatted for a few minutes, then I sat down with Nurse, G-String and Woodpecker. Dinner lasted three

hours as we swapped stories and just had a good conversation. It was 7:15pm when we finally left. 


A side note:  yesterday I ate at the same place and had the exact same meal. Internet was down all over town so everything was cash only. MY bill was $19.50. I paid with a twenty but when it came time for a tip the smallest bill I had was a five dollar bill. The waiter had been great. He spoke with a foreign accent. About 30 ish. Instead of asking if you wanted all the trimmings with your hamburger he asked if you wanted all the vegetables. Cute. Anyway, I gave him a five dollar tip for a $20 meal. Today, when I walked in and sat down he addressed me as Coach and was very attentive. Everyone at the table was asking what was going on that he knew my name. I explained the $5 tip. This is not something I have experienced before. Funny. 


Back at the campground I filled a laundry tub with water and found the pesky leak I my sleeping pad and patched it. Nurse showed me his pen drawing he does along the trail. They are amazing. Then I was in my tent and asleep. Not exactly a lay on your lazy butt and do nothing zero day, but it was a great day and sets me up for a truly do nothing day tomorrow.  My plan as of now is to zero tomorrow (Wednesday) until the early evening, then hitch to the pass to sleep so I can get an early start on Thursday. 


Sorry, no photos today. If I get ambitious I might take a few around town today

No comments:

Post a Comment