Monday, June 20, 2022

Day 54 - Friday, June 17, 2022 - 20.6 miles - 54,027 steps - MP 1096.4 (Alpine Bowl of South Cottonwood Creek) to MP 1117 (trail junction to Lake Anne Pass)- Vert Up - 4146’ - Vert Dwn - 4904’ - Total Miles to Date - 856.2

At this point, Day 54, you might be wondering why do I like doing this and how did I get started?


I had the honor of growing up around some incredible men. Tom Macartney was our Explorer Post leader. He put so much time and trust into each of us, instilling confidence and guiding us. Max Eckenburg at Camp Sheppard was dynamic and full of stories of the founding of Seattle Mountain Rescue (SMR), the CCC days and rescues on Mt. McKinley and others. Ome Diaber, first ascent of Liberty Ridge on Rainier, founder of SMR, inventor of SnoSeal and adult on some of our Rainier climbs. Larry Penberthy, founder of Mountain Safety Research (MSR), who would work with us at Sheppard on roping and belay techniques and would donate his latest climbing inventions to our camp equipment room (Thunderbird Ice Axes, stoves that ran directly off the fuel bottles and more). George Uchida, who among other notable accomplishments had Washington Governor and Transportation Secretary under Bill Clinton, Gary Locke as a scout in his troop. 


These men and others guided me, taught me and gave me incredible experiences. And yet, the most important person I have not mentioned. My father. It was his guidance, teaching, patience, expectations, enthusiasm and love that instilled in me the desire to know more, work harder, explore and seek out those growth experiments that now and back then define my life. Without him I would never had the chance to meet these other great people in my life. 


Think of this. As Scout Master of my troop he organized a week long hike for us 11 year olds. Not just any hike. We loaded our packs into Kenmore Air Harbor radial engine Beavers and flew to Lake Chelan, landing at the Lucerne dock. We off loaded, piled into “taxis” and switchbacked up the old haul road to the old copper mining town of Holden (incidentally, Larry Penberthy worked there as an assayer). Here we started our hike back to the west side of the mountain. Pretty cool dad, huh?  And the next year he thought it would be even cooler if we hiked west to east and then flew back over what we had hiked so we could see it from the air.  He could have taken us to a scout camp where counselors and staff work with us and he can sit around and talk with the other adult leaders. Little responsibility. Nope. Plans, leads and pulls off an amazing adventure for a bunch of 11 year olds. Twice. When your dad does these kinds of things, it rubs off. 


We were canoeing the Snohomish river. There is a big rapid with giant haystacks. Below the rapid there is a sweeper across the current. Us boys, two to a canoe make it. My dad gets caught by the sweeper and the canoe gets broken right in two, but the aluminum gunwales hold the two halves together, one half under the tree the other on top. Pinned by the current. After an hour and using ropes we free the canoe and z trailer it home. Throw it away? Nope. Cut out the broken pieces, make new gunwales and fiberglass it back together. A little shorter, by a foot or so, but fully usable. What did I learn? You can do anything. And countless other stories. Countless. So, yes, I was blessed to have some of Seattle’s great mountaineers as mentors, but the man who made that possible was my dad. And I don’t think as a kid I realized it. Nor did I appreciate or thank him. He was . . . just my dad. 


I was up and out at my usual 6:00 am. The weather forecast showed deteriorating conditions with possible afternoon thunderstorms. I knew we climbed to a ridge top first thing and then ran along its flank and over its top for seven miles. I didn’t want to get caught up there, so I was glad to get out early. To my surprise Hammer and Kyle passed me an hour later. I was amazed. They are early risers too. Monk was still asleep when they left the meadow. 


The trail crossed Cottonwood Pass, a major two lane highway. Here I caught up with Hammer and Kyle. They were hanging in the parking lot smoking a bowl. I continued on. Now the trail dropped about 1200 feet to the Cottonwood River, then followed downstream for three miles before ascending up the other side of the valley toward Lake Anne Pass. 


Lake Anne Pass is notorious. It’s north side collects a huge cornice during the winter and is slow to let it go in the spring. The first 100 feet are rumored to be very steep. I know of at least three people that turned around rather than descend it. Do you cross it early when the snow is firm or even icy, or wait until later in the day when it softens or later still when postholinf might occur. But, the story of our crossing must wait until tomorrow. 


Today we hiked 20 miles, to the basin below the pass. Monk did not catch on trail today. I passed Hammer and Kyle camping I. A great spot in the trees with plenty of room for me and Monk, but it was two miles short of the trail intersection that led to Lake Anne Pass so I continued on. I found a great flat spot and set up. No sooner was I in my tent than Monk showed. It started raining as he set up and it rained off and on for a while into the evening. 


I felt good today. Probably the strongest I’ve felt in the last few weeks. The new shoes are a big help, as is the new pack. Plus, I think I am acclimatizing to the high altitude. Tomorrow we will see what all the hullabaloo is about Lake Anne Pass. 












Cottonwood Pass from the trail looking south



Had to ford the river. About knee deep. Wet shoes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment